Sunday, February 7, 2010

PJ's and A Movie Film Reviews

The following are excerpts from my online film review column PJ's and a Movie.

Growing Up is Hard to do in the Adventures of Sebastian Cole

Thinking back to 1996, I was confronted with the reality that it’s been 12 years since I was a high school freshman. No I don’t wish to return. Instead I’d rather look back and move forward. I learned many lessons that year, because the differences between my elementary school and high school, were vast. During that era, I was introduced to sex, drugs, discrimination, and a novel which has been attributed to making people go mad!


There's Life After the Darkness in the Color Purple

“You sho is ugly,” evokes laughter and the bitter sting of embarrassment.

Many people know what film this hilarious line originates from. But for those of you who don’t know, I’ll give you a hint. Think purple.

Ah yes, the Color Purple. This Academy Award Nominated, snubbed for Best Picture, film is based on the novel by Alice Walker. In the movie, director Steven Spielberg, brings to life the story of women living during the Jim Crow era of the south...


Halle Berry Reigns in Alex Haley's Queen

During Valentine’s week in 1993, I had the pleasure to watch the 3 part mini-series adaptation of Alex Haley’s Queen. Although, I was merely 11 year-old at the time, I felt a strong connection and understanding of the pain of the characters. Perhaps it was the emergence of past life memories or just knowing that owning another person is wrong, whatever the case, the impact of this film was profound and still resonates with me today...


No comments:

Post a Comment